Thursday, February 17, 2011

Acts 16

"Paul wanted to have him go on with him. And he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in that region, for they all knew that his father was Greek." (Acts 16:3)

"But Paul said to them, "They have beaten us openly, uncondemned Romans, and have thrown us into prison. And now do they put us out secretly? No indeed! Let them come themselves and get us out."" (Acts 16:37)

I didn't quite understand Paul in this two incidents, for their motives seemed to contradict.

If Paul had wanted to avoid unnecessary troubles by having Timothy circumcised, why had he not chosen to leave quietly when he had the chance to? Yet, we see him kind of demanding his rights as a Roman.

When we meet with situations today, do we minimise trouble or do we stand up for our (Christian) rights?

-----

In my reading of Acts this time, I am able to appreciate what Paul went through for Christ better. Somehow, in my reading this time, I am able to follow Paul's footsteps and witness for myself what he suffered for Jesus. I have seen how he was beaten up, how he was stoned, how he often had to flee, and how he often was thrown into prison.

Yet, he kept going! Preaching the Word of God everywhere he went, praying and singing hymns even in prison!

Even as I pride myself on my own evangelism work, when I look at Paul (and company) now, I have to wonder if I am doing enough? Am I already contented with what I have done?

Paul's attitude in evangelism and servitude is really admirable and I am really impressed. And as I continue to read about Paul's ministry since his conversion, I am able to appreciate the verse below much better.

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)

If I were to be stoned one day, will I still be able to get up? If I were to be beaten and thrown into prison, will I still pray and sing hymns? Just imagining it already feels so painful and tiring.... I got to remember Paul.... as the last days approaches and there will be even more terrible persecutions...

Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:1)

No comments: